Many of the satellite phones are bigger than the mobile phones that you simply see these days and heavier as well. It is additional pricey to get when compared with your mobile handset. Within the event you locate oneself inside a predicament where you need the guarantee of connectivity, where the other options do not exist or are scarce, a satellite phone becomes an invaluable means to meet your general communication specifications and possibly a lifesaver at the same time. In such circumstances, you might take into account renting a satellite phone, which can be inexpensive and becomes an important and essential asset in your journey to the middle of no-where.
As quickly as your Iridium phone is activated, the closest satellite will detect your phone and figure out when the phone belongs to that group of satellites and will also verify your user’s account for its registration and validity. The satellite also determines the position of one’s phone. On creating a get in touch with, the telephone communicates together with the closest satellite straight. This is then transferred from satellite to satellite, till it reaches the concerned satellite that will then re-transmit the details towards the preferred Earth Station. Your Iridium phone connects you to a landline infrastructure anyplace in the world.
The Functions Of Your Iridium Service Includes –
- Voice, fax, email, and information communication to and from any place in the world.
- A roaming phone that you could take with you anywhere you wish.
- 1 telephone one number anywhere you go.
- Quick connectivity.
- One easy bill for the entire account, in 1 currency.
- It is possible to have selections of post-paid or pre-paid connections.
- Economical call charges with a single basic charge fixed to contact PSTN lines.
- Incoming calls are free of charge.
- Uncomplicated to work with.
It offers a normal data rate of 2.4kbps and has the solution to provide 10kbps via the direct Worldwide Web Information Service.
The typical price tag presented for an Iridium telephone for renting will be around $9 per day, with theft and loss protection insurance at $6 each day with a $400 deductible. The outgoing contact charges would be in the area of $1.99 per minute, with voicemail retrieval at $1.50 per minute. Calls to other Iridium phones may price about $1.50 a minute and calls to Inmarsat Satellite Phones are at $10 per minute.
Globalstar initially came into service on a progressive basis within the year 1999. Its industrial services were introduced in 3 phases: the so-named ‘friendly users’ service trials in the October of 1999, the introduction of a preliminary service to a handful of customers in November 1999 plus the full industrial introduction of its services in North America in February 2000.
With all the introduction of Globalstar, the entire communication situation changed. The advent of satellite telephony brought forth the era when communication became achievable even from this 50 % area in the globe which has small or no telecommunication facility what-so-ever.
Business homes, governments, and even recreational users had the capability now to communicate regardless of where they’re, whether they are traveling in such regions exactly where such infrastructures as landlines and cellular coverage, will not be offered. The Satellite phone proved its distinct advantage.
Globalstar services started to locate its way into quite a few places of industries and these incorporate:
- Companies inside the organic resources business, especially oil and gas, mining, and forestry enterprises
- The maritime industry, fishing boats, and recreational boaters
- Transportation, such as railways and trucking
- Cellular users who’re planning to extend the range of their existing service
- Several federal and provincial government agencies
- Leisure enterprises in remote regions and recreational enthusiasts, who fish, hunt, snowmobile, etc.
- Recreational autos, cruise ships, and so forth.
- Global business travelers who travel to destinations where nearby phone service is unreliable or pricey
The iPhones from Globalstar, that is the mobile unit, the GSP-1600, has a sale cost of about $750, becoming by far the most competitive gear in the market place now. To rent a GSP-1600 mobile telephone, it would cost you roughly $40 per week, obtaining the following possibilities and accessories:
- Voicemail $15.00/rental.
- Internet/email access with Information Kit (serial Computer cable & software) $25.00/rental.
- 12 volt DC cigarette lighter adapter cable $10.00/rental.
- Leather carrying case $8.00/rental.
- As far as call charges are concerned, Globalstar offers:
- Home Area (USA) – $1.59/Minute.
- Canada Roaming – $1.59/Minute.
- International Roaming/Long Distance – $3.49/Minute.
- 19-Character Text Messaging – No cost.
- The above prices are all typical figures, liable to change.
Thuraya is a regional satellite service provider, mainly serving Europe, Middle East, and Africa. The service centers on one particular single geostationary communications satellite, with one back-up and the third coming up and is planned for launch within the year 2007. 2007. The Company is based within the Middle East and supplies its services through different authorized service providers.
The company offers voice communication with handheld terminals and maritime or land-based fixed stations. It delivers Short Message Service (SMS) and information and fax services at 9.6kbit/s. It also capabilities 144kbit/s high-speed data services by way of notebook-sized Hughes terminal (ThurayaDSL), with built-in GPRS services along with services for instance news, call back, voicemail, WAP, etc.
Thuraya has an additional than 250,000 handheld subscribers at present, with all the growth slowing down during the course in the year 2005. The handsets provided by Thuraya have dual-mode functions, facilitating operation on the Thuraya satellite and also as GSM mobile telephone working on the 900MHz bandwidth. This can be unlike the 1 from Iridium while having the same feature as Qualcomm handsets on the Globalstar system. Qualcomm is a CDMA/Satellite featured telephone.
Thuraya has the following typical charges:
- Calls to any destination except not shown in their list – voice: $1.25 per minute, Data/Fax service – $1.80 per minute.
- Calls to other Thuraya phones – $0.85 per minute, Data/Fax service – $1.40 per minute.
- Calls to Iridium – $3.00 per minute, Data/Fax service – $3.00 per minute.
- Calls to Inmarsat – $3.00 per minute, Data/Fax service – $3.00 per minute.
- Calls to Inmarsat A – $5.50 per minute, Data/Fax service – $5.50 per minute.
- The charges shown above are average and may well be different from offer to offer.
Communication satellites have brought a telecommunication revolution. It has brought connectivity for the entire world, reaching out to those locations where none in the fundamental infrastructure of communication exists